Transportation Business Intelligence
Business intelligence (BI) is the set of techniques and tools for the transformation of raw data into meaningful and useful information for business analysis purposes. BI technologies are capable of handling large amounts of unstructured data to help identify, develop and otherwise create new strategic business opportunities. The goal of BI is to allow for the easy interpretation of these large volumes of data. Identifying new opportunities and implementing an effective strategy based on insights can provide businesses with a competitive market advantage and long-term stability.
Benefits of BI
- Reduces Labor Cost – The time it takes to produce a basic report can be greatly reduced by using a business intelligence tool. The ability to produce reports can be taken out of the hands of expensive resources such as IT and put into the hands of other individuals in the company.
- Reduce Information Bottlenecks – BI systems allow end users to extract information without having to wait on other resources such as IT. Some tasks can be self-service and pushed down into other departments and allowing them to be more self sufficient.
- Ability to Quickly Prototype Reports to determine usefulness and ability to use that information now versus waiting months for a development cycle. Gives us the ability to take advantage of that information now while there is a possible opportunity to use the information versus later after the opportunity has passed us by.
- Allows you to better allocate our internal resources versus adding more resources to produce reports.
- Gives you the ability to look at data quickly to help assist with decisions.
When it comes to business intelligence in transportation, how do you turn it into actionable insights so you can make change? Recently, as we do each quarter, we updated our transportation management system (TMS), we call the Cerasis Rater to provide even more reports using the data you create from shipping activity. This allows our shippers to glean even more from our system and get to cutting their transportation spend continually.
When it comes to our business intelligence reports the following is possible:
- Shippers have the ability to schedule any report that is in the rater.
- Reports can be sent to the shipper or to any valid email address.
- Scheduling can be accomplished on the report itself or a new Scheduled Report page.
- Criteria includes: Report Range: Today, Last Week, Last 30 Days, Last 90 Days, Previous Month, Previous Quarter, or Custom Date Range
- Interval: Daily, Weekly, Monthly o Day of Week: All 7 days
- Time of Day: Whole hours, 24 hours a day.
- Each report has the ability to schedule from the report. Pressing Schedule Report will display a report scheduling window.
The following are three new types of reports we have made available to shippers within our TMS, and below these three new reports are all the reports shippers can get if they want to get more transportation data:
Carriers Used – Report showing summary of the top ten carriers used by Dollars, Weight, and Shipment count. The summary pages show the breakdown of all carriers, not just the top ten.
Shipments by Zone – Report showing the shipment amount by zones in the US. The US is broken into 6 zones with Canada as zone 7, Mexico and zone 8, and everything else is zone 9. Summary pages show the breakdown by the state or province.
Weight by Class – Report showing class as the percentage used across all shipments and the total weight by class.