When you’re looking for ways to benefit your company’s supply chain, you probably look for ways to reduce time or costs in various departments. In most cases, this comes down to the way you might ship, store or produce the products you sell.
Are industrial manufacturers seizing all the opportunities of a more digital world?
A recent article suggests that, by 2018, only 30 percent of manufacturers investing in digital transformation will be able to maximize the outcome. The remaining 70 percent are hindered by outdated business models and technology.
This is concerning.
Supply chain industry leaders have access to more information today than ever before in history. Thanks to data gathering programs, supply chain software, and data entry applications, this represents a mountain of data, which has the potential to provide ground-breaking insight into how to improve business-model efficiency.
“The problem with trends is that they are like a freight train gaining speed; everyone can see the train, but at what point do you say the train is really moving at speed?” – Steve Banker from a recent Forbes article.
Aside from the new administration, Amazon’s supply chain continued push deeper into new and existing markets will define additional trends in the supply chain throughout the coming year. While supply chain entities struggle to stay competitive with the e-commerce giant, more organizations will look for ways to eliminate inefficiencies and boost operations.
At Cerasis, the topic of Amazon and its impact on logistics and manufacturing comes up often. Amazon is taking a major share from every company involved in the global supply chain. Dan Gilmore, Editor of Supply Chain Digest, may have described it best as “the Relentless Amazon Assault on Everything.”
So, we must re-evaluate how we view Amazon’s impact on supply chains.
We invite you to register and attend our educational webinar titled, “Why Supply Chain Leaders are Using Big Data Analytics” presented on Feb. 28, 2017, at 11:00 am ~ 12:00 pm CST.
You can register by visiting http://www.elasticwebcast.com/user/registration/theme_04/index.php?videocast=ODk.
Supply chain industry leaders have access to more information today than ever before in history.
How technology in logistics grew throughout 2016 is not limited to the technology that delivers products or enables better, faster picking processes.
Modern supply chains are evolving beyond anyone’s expectations due to increased use of cloud-computing technologies, wearables and advanced data analysis. In addition, the role of these technologies is becoming more than a means of guaranteeing profits; they are enabling more small businesses to compete with larger, big box retailers, which drives prices down for end users.
Supply chains have traditionally followed a linear path, manufacturing products and sending them through warehouses and distribution centers to consumers. However, the age of the internet and omnichannel sales has created vast opportunities to change how the supply chain functions, creating more cohesive, collaborative, and circular supply chains.